- PhD, Univ Of Missouri-Columbia (2011)
- MEd, Drury University (1999)
- BS, Drury University (1997)
- Co-Founder and co-editor of "Cave Region Review: A Journal of Visual and Literary Art". (2008-present)
- Associate Book Review Editor. "American Periodicals: A Journal of History and Criticism". (2003-2004).
- Co-Author/Editor. "The University of Missouri Composition Handbook". 2002.
- Associate Editor. "Center: A Journal of the Literary Arts". University of Missouri. (2002-2003).
- Dairy Farmers of America, Production Employee, 1984-1998.
- Meads Trucking Company, Driver, 1981-1984.
- North Arkansas College, English Instructor, 2006-2012.
- University of Missouri-Columbia, Graduate Instructor, 2001-2006.
- Central Methodist University, Adjunct Instructor, 2003-2005.
- Lebanon Human Resource Center, Social Studies Instructor, 2000-2001.
- State Fair Community College, Adjunct Instructor, 1999-2001.
- Ozarks Technical and Community College, Adjunct Instructor, 1999-2001.
- Lebanon Technology and Career Center, Adult Education Instructor, 1998-2000.
- Arkansas Association of Two-Year Colleges
- Missouri State University-West Plains Ozarks Symposium
- The Center for Ozarks Studies, Missouri State University-Springfield
- Missouri Folklore Society Conference
- The Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature
Research and professional interests
- Book reviews in The Ozarks Mountaineer, Arkansas Review, Community College Humanities Review, Rougarou, and American Periodicals.
- Essays in Elder Mountain, Writers of the American Renaissance, American Literature through History, Encyclopedia of Environmental Literature, The Concord Saunterer, The Thoreau Society Bulletin, and The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture.
- Poetry in Big Muddy, Elder Mountain, South Carolina Review, The Journal of Kentucky Studies, Potpourri, Modern Haiku, Frogpond, Brussels Sprout, The Chaffin Journal, Red Rock Review, River Oak Review, American Tanka, The Foliate Oak, Plainsongs.
- Poetry in The Mid-American Poetry Review, The Christian Science Monitor, Timber Creek Review, and others.
- Photographs in The Ozarks Mountaineer, Elder Mountain, Cave Region Review, Big Muddy, and The Foliate Oak.
- "Engaging Literature: Creative Projects to Promote Discussion." Teaching American Literature: A Journal of Theory and Practice. Summer 2013.
- "Haiku: This Other World." Encyclopedia of American Environmental Literature. May 2013.
- "Bank on the Old Blood Every Time": Native Inferiority in The Shepherd of the Hills. Elder Mountain: A Journal of Ozark Studies. Fall 2012. 114-122.
- "Edsel Ford." The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture. Dec. 2007.
- "Henry Dumas." The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture. Nov. 2007.
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now, put the foundations under them."
— Henry David Thoreau
Awards and honors
- Plainsongs Award poem, Plainsongs, Hastings College, 2011.
- National Institute for Staff and Organizational Development Excellence Award, 2009.
- Richard S. Brownlee Award, State Historical Society of Missouri, 2005.
- Arkansas Humanities Council
- Department of Arkansas Heritage
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- North Arkansas College Foundation